Evolution of the Tiger
The Tiger nickname has stood the test of time, persevering through multiple university name changes, several face-lifts and covert attempts to alter the school moniker.
A Sumter County newspaper, Our Southern Home, coined the nickname in 1938, referring to the then Livingston State Teachers College men’s basketball team as the “Rambling Tigers.” The University adopted the name and formally entered intercollegiate play that year as part of the Alabama Intercollegiate Conference. On October 21, 1938, the Tiger was officially introduced to and approved by alumni at the school’s first homecoming, spawning formation of the L-Club, spearheaded by its inaugural president Alfred Van Hoose.
When the school changed its name to Livingston University in 1968, the Tiger walked through the initials L.U. in a fierce looking athletics logo for the ‘70s. It was given a face-lift in 1985, as a mascot named “LUie” (pronounced Louie) was introduced at sporting events, and the logo was given a more lighthearted appearance
In 1995, the board of trustees changed the name of the institution to the University of West Alabama to reflect the heightened regional commitment of the University, and a new set of Tiger logos were born.
Today, the Tiger remains a symbol of pride in academic and athletic excellence for each incoming UWA class. As the University strengthens its commitment to educating young men and women, the UWA Tiger stands true to the characteristics that spawned the nickname more than 70 years ago.